Paging Doctor Mom (and Dad)
When dealing with ongoing health issues, especially when you’re in the thick of things, it seems like your problem — whatever it may be — may never be resolved.
Well, guess what, we’re finding out that good things do come to those…who wait.
Since Olena was about 9 months old our little baby girl, the one who extibated herself in the NICU more than once, suffered from repeated bouts of croup. Her first battle came at 9 months, rather early for the average infant. She would get it at the drop of a hat, with no warning…we’re talking zero to blue in seconds. BLUE. Babies should not do that.
I was convinced that my baby girl was just into expensive rides (ambulances) and even more expensive hospital stays JUST so she could get some one-on-one time with mom. I can’t even recall how many times either she rode in an ambulance to go to the hospital, or we rushed her to her pediatrician (only to end up in an ambulance), or just drove her to the ER ourselves.
No matter what, it was scary as hell every time.
Olena has been followed by Dr. Anthony Mortelliti and the ENT Clinic at University Hospital in Syracuse. He, and his team, diagnosed Olena with having scar tissue on her airway. The airway is smooth which allows for easy breathing, so you can cough up germs, etc.. With her airway scarred, germs would get stuck, she could not cough like a typical newborn/infant, she would get real sick.
Combine that with a later diagnosis of acute asthma…it made for some pretty tense moments in our house, in the doctor’s office, at the ER. She was monitored on a regular basis, requiring Dr. Mortelliti to perform bronchoscopy and lasering of her airway if needed. It was surgery. She was sedated and needed hospital stays.
Originally they told us she would need the scopes every 3 to 6 months until she grew out of the condition. OR until they lasered her airway.
The Next Step
One area that was quite troublesome was located right at the bottom of her airway before it split and met her lungs. That area hung down quite low…they could laser it but doing so required a pediatric thoracic surgeon be on hand because they really didn’t know what was “under” that area. It could be a major vein. Scary stuff. Especially if it got nicked.
Last fall we had an MRI/MRA done on Olena. The results were given to the thoracic surgeon. And then we waited to hear when the surgery would be scheduled.
And we waited…and called…and waited. The holidays came and went. And then we heard the news…TODAY:
“We have decided that, if Olena remains healthy this winter, that we won’t do the surgery. We’ll schedule her for a follow-up, and you’ll get the paperwork with details, so we’ll see you in a month or two.”
Does this mean we will really close this chapter? Is this it for the bronchoscopes? Time will tell. Right now, I’m just celebrating this news.